Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Research


Okay, so my resolution to not write about writing lasted really long. NOT. Anyway. NaNoWriMo is only five days away (and quickly counting down) and I’ll finally be able to start writing my next book. Honestly, you can only edit the same stuff so much, before you just want to start hashing out new scenes.

My favorite part about writing though, is the research required. You can't write something without at least a little research, and since I write in the modern era (aka. here and now), all the more research is needed. I can spend hours and hours on it, trying to find just the right search term, trying to figure out if what I want to happen is really possible.

For my first NaNo, I had no real plan, so I didn’t do any research before I started writing. Each day that I wrote though, I immersed myself in things about Wales, the UK, Jacques Cartier, Newton's laws of motion (don't ask), Vermont, the Boston Airport, weather at different times of year in different places, and all kinds of medical things. I mean, if your character gets hurt, you have to at least make it look realistic, right?

I spent so much time learning about Wales, and the history of Wales, that by the end of the month, there was only one country that I really wanted to go to. Wales. I still really want to go there, and I hope to someday... Along with all the other countries that I had to research ^_^

Being from the US, I also had to learn all about the schooling system over there, and all the differences. Being homeschooled also made writing from that perspective a little harder as well. Oh well, I made him homeschooled for three years :)

Even after NaNo, and I took a break from writing for a while, I still kept researching. Random things would pop up to me, and I think that that would be really good to know about. So I’d look it up. By the time June came around, and I finished writing and editing my book for my proof copy, I felt like I knew a lot about Wales, about Vermont, a lot about all kinds of random stuff.

Even now, I’m doing some last minute researching, including writing out a whole family tree for him, from the 1500s all the way up to the present. Yeah, it’s been interesting. First I had to find names that would've been applicable to those eras, and that took forever. I’m learning a lot more about the country, counties in Wales, and more about the history in those time periods, as I try to give his ancestors occupations. I spent a couple hours learning all about the Royal Navy, trying to find a suitable ship for his ancestor to serve on, and then had to make sure that the ancestors position wasn’t too high that he’d be expected to be in the history books. They have to be invisible ^_^ Research for probably only one or two chapters of the book, but important to me all the same. Hours have been spent researching the most mundane things, from allergic reactions to P.E./Health textbooks that he’d likely use. I will be prepared this year :)

I just hope I’m not taking all the fun out of it ahead of time...

StarLit

No comments:

Post a Comment