Thursday, November 3, 2011

NaNoWriMo: Day 3

Status: 25,050 words / 50,000 words

Is it really only day three? It seems like a lot longer than that... I guess I’ve just been pounding out too many words in one day ^_^

The writing has gone somewhat slow today. Since I don’t really plan out my story in advance (I find that I lose interest easily), I only had an idea of what was going on for the first 20,000 words or so. Basically, enough to keep me going for the last two days.

Today, though, I was already starting to run out of material. I know what’s supposed to happen, but I still don’t quite know how to make it happen, without it reading weird. Spending a couple thousand words describing a lunch my MC had with his parents and his dad’s cousin doesn’t seem very productive, but leaving the entire day blank seemed pointless as well. I had an intro to the day, but nothing to tie it all together.

Thus, the day at the beach, when it was cold and windy, was born. Still not into too much detail, but enough that I was able to tie the day together neatly. *sigh* If only it was that easy all the time. I feel like I’m spending far too much time on his vacation with his family, when really, the major and important stuff happens when he goes back to school. But he can’t go back to school without the experiences he has over the summer, or he won’t experience the right things at school, or he won’t... well you get the idea.

It’s a long and complicated process. Now I have him sitting through a class, where he’ll learn something important that won’t really be used until the middle of the book. Foreshadowing. It’s hard to do when you really have no idea where you’re going... but I do. But I don’t at the same time.

I know where he’ll be at the end of the book, I know what happens to him in the middle of the book, it’s just the rest of it that I have no idea about... Oh well. It’ll come eventually. :P

--Star Lit

No comments:

Post a Comment